Sunday, November 20, 2011

Epilogue and Acknowledgements

Another trip had come to a conclusion, they always seem to come to an end of sorts and I am left with lots of memories and photos. Actually, I am also left with lessons, aspirations, inspirations and if lucky another trip to plan. I guess the first part of this trip had been about “the run”, New York New York it has taken me just on 5 hours to run across its five districts and I am sure it would take a few life times to discover its 9 million stories. It’s true we all have a story each is as complex as those of Kings or heads of state, as intricate as a simple blue-collar worker and as intense as young love. Just as I have fallen in love with every other city I visited, I have fallen for NYC but unlike any other city I have not fallen for its beauty or wonders but for its intensity. The city that “never sleeps” actually does because if you want to see a quiet NYC wake up early, there is hardly anyone there to greet you. The city is vibrant, its electric its bright and at intervals overwhelming. NYC taught me about goals, I had plenty of goals that included: 1) Getting there – it was something I really wanted to do…Lets just say it’s a bucket list item 2) Raising the set target for the Kids HelpLine (that may seem trivial but it really wasn’t) Thank you to all the friends and family that had assisted and I am yet to draw that raffle (some probably forgot but someone out there perhaps not even a person reading this will win an IPad2 pre Xmas. 3) I wanted to finish the Marathon in a BP which was under 4:30 but actually targeting 3:30 (which hasn’t happen yet ☹) its ok it will 4) Find a bit more about myself. Washington DC had reminded me of a city that is guarded like a fortress, all its buildings were these magnificent modern day “castles”. It seemed to me that it didn’t matter what building you entered it just came across as something that was built to guard & protect whatever is inside it. The flags which fly everywhere do portray more than patriotism, it reflected majesty or pride. Starting with the White House to every museum to Capitol Hill & even memorials, it all collectively portrayed something that needed protecting. The amount of police presence in both DC & NYC is overwhelming and it does come across as a paranoid state but after attending Ground Zero, I am wondering what would any of us do if we had come home and found that our house had been plundered? San Francisco was by far more chilled than either of the other two cities. It was warm (and I don’t mean just the climate). It was a typical artists haven. The buildings had ancient warmth in them, its hills as wavy as a ride in the surf, it’s people were friendly yet unimposing. San Fran definitely had Melbourne’s vibe and soul. Its theatres and streets and warmth and funk are to behold, I really could live (and long to) in a place like that. I can assure you I have attempted and perhaps succeeded at achieving some of my goals. Lessons of NYC some tall buildings held the record of the tallest building for years, months, weeks, days and some just for hours. Everyone had aspired to be grandeur and set their sight on the next target and some were only beating their target by a few metres or less. The fact is the top 10 tallest buildings in the world do not feature a single building from NYC (REFERENCE: ) Pretty poor effort you would say… I disagree I was eavesdropping on some “bankers” (not sure if that was their occupation but they looked like they should have had a Big W tattooed) in a bar/restaurant. These distinguished gents were my inspiration to discuss goals and their target was Barrack Obama and the comment that caught my attention was “What has he achieved, big whoop so he made president but is still a failure”. I was dumb founded and personally wanted to leap over the counter and smack them in the mouth but decided to think that again. Barrack Obama according to the Times Magazine Top 100 most influential people in the world for 2011 is at Number 86… Michelle Obama is at 22 (Times Top 100) Yet, according to Forbes Barrack Obama ranks as the most Powerful Person in the world. Forbes Top 100 Interesting isn’t it, I am wondering if I was given the choice of being the most powerful Vs the most influential. If you used the link you had have learned that according to Times the most influential person in the world is a 30 year old “Wael Ghonim”a 30 year old Egyptian who as a successful google executive was one of the youth that instrumented the revolutions in Egypt earlier this year. So who would you choose, the person that affects the change that moves millions to revolt against a dictatorship regime and not only do you do that in your home land but inspires millions and millions to uprise across the whole region. Or would you prefer to be the most powerful person that cannot pass a single legislation to benefit his people (those who elected him to office)? Food for thought However, I have realised that our goals are like our lives and they never cease or end. I for one believe that goals are not something we have achieved but something we are yet to achieve and I guess in a mad kind of way it’s a reflection of my life at the moment. I have plenty of goals to achieve and aspire to achieve them. I have no aspiration of being the most influential or the most powerful. I do however want to be the best at being the “Best Dad” my kids can have. To me all the other goals that have been achieved are a memory and all the ones yet to achieve will only be memories. The only goal that will ever be everlasting are the memories of my children growing, happy and loved and that’s all I can aspire for, everything else is only a mean for me to fill the void while I am fulfilling that one goal. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own Approval” ~Mark Twain. And for the time being I am comfortable that I am still striving to achieve that goal. Thank you and from the conclusion of yet another adventure I bid you farewell. PS A few readers have advised that I write it in the same manner I speak...its because I don't proof read or edit so its just a rant...but at least you know its honest...Thanks :) Over and Out H

No comments:

Post a Comment