Sunday, November 13, 2011

DAY 6 USA 7th November 2011

Totally unexpected but I pulled up ok… Bags packed I checked out of Park Central – and it wasn’t without a drama…To this morning I am still swaying whether I stay the night in NYC or head to DC. At the end I decided to stay on and have dinner with George & some of his friends (fellow Aussie expats). Headed to Tiffany to collect my money clip with my time…although I was disappointed with my efforts it was great to see that my time was still under 5:00 hours and probably grateful I finished. The day really only constituted of shopping (to the point where I needed to buy a new bag (SUITCASE)) Booked myself in the DISTRIKT hotel which restored my faith that there is the servce that you get on the streets available in the Hotels…it’s the simple things like asking me what room I would like? To having a clean and well equipped room with service staff that are chatty, happy and willing to assist…PARK Central Take note…in fact all employers take note, happy staff= happy customers = more revenue and return business. The afternoon was naptime and early in the evening headed towards the “funky” part of town for dinner. The restaurant was amazing and full. Its hard to imagine how the US economy could be deteriorating into a recession or a slow down when I believe that the restaurant takings that evening could equate to a small country’s GDP. The Smith It’s hard to imagine but on the streets you can see some clear signs of poverty and some people doing it tough (although I was later reminded that that is not necessarily true either). The dinner discussions varied from the entertaining, to the political, to running to Carbon… The discussions were nothing short of polar opposites of what most discussions I had with any of my current close knit friends. It didn’t mean I disagreed with it but it was a very different perspective. The company on my end of the table had very intellectual, business savvy and successful group of people. I am not sure if I changed or my ideals of the world around me have? I know I firmly believe in a free economy and in micro economic policy. However, I also believe that there are those who are less fortunate than myself that require to be taken care of and these should rely on government or macro policy to aid them and ensure that their quality of life does not deteriorate especially in economic downturns. I believe that our environment had been exploited and it is not sustainable to continue destroying it for economic prosperity. I do recognise that as someone stated “Carbon is good for the environment” what that person missed is excessive carbon emissions are not good for the environment. I believe that Carbon tax will allow us to invest in greener energy and perhaps we don’t have all f the facts of what that means yet and the argument would go on forever that green energy has a negative case whether it be, wind generators are an eye sore but there needs to be continual development of new initiatives and until such time those vital discoveries are made then funds are required for R&D and so the cycle continues. I do recognise that it has taken me a few years to recognise that I don’t need excessive wealth to be happy but I do need to be well above the poverty line to be happy and sustain a comfortable (if not at times a lavish) life style. I just haven’t figured it all out yet. I know if I have a million I would probably spend it and part of me will also allow me to invest some of it…we’ll see… This evening actually probably just spurred me a little to recognise I will need to again get back to the work force soon. I have had plenty of good times and working again will just allow me to continue doing that. That was the end of another evening and what is my last night in NYC for 2011 (guaranteed)

No comments:

Post a Comment