Thursday, November 17, 2011

DAY 12 USA 13th November 2011

There is allot left to be desired for travelling in the US especially coast to coast. DC to SFO is 3000 miles??? Or thereabouts but I was abut to discover distance is not measure in a straight line, its like lightning, it always zig zags. A flight from DC to SFO direct is approximately 4 and a bit hours but costs about $1000 US if you want to do the last minute as I often do. There is a price for spontaneity…now at $379 you can do the trip in 7 hours (plus 3 hours transit & about $60 for luggage) and yet somehow now the $1000 fare seems like a fair price. I got to Washington International about 11 am DC time (8:00 am SF) and land in San Fran at 10 pm…a long bloody day…the only useful thing I did was get a chance to write the blog (Ok some reading this would disagree and not find that a useful task at all) However, the funniest thing that happened that day while I was writing the blog goes along the following path… I was sitting in my rocking chair and even had my headphones on…when after about 3 hours of typing I hear this man going absolutely off his head (supposedly talking to his wife) I only pick at the conversation at something my ears just pricked up at the following sentence… “Honey, I need to work and don’t need to sleep at your relatives floor so I visit them when I am in town…I don’t need this!” And whoosh memories just come crashing on the shores… the conversation goes for about 20 minutes and I am so absorbed in it to the point I almost miss my flight by delaying my check-in through security screening” The man continues pleading with his Mrs who apparently also disclosed to those relatives what he was in DC for which almost drives him up the wall again because its not information that should be in the public domain yet. The conversation is funny in that personally I think the man is an idiot… 1. Don’t discuss on the pillow what you should not discuss in the pub (general rule I learnt the hard way) 2. If you are being flown by work don’t be a cheapskate and charge your hotel to work…saving them pennies by staying somewhere where you won’t be ready for work the next morning is moronic & no one benefits. 3. He really was repeating himself too many times and I don’t believe she was listening or intending to…Proof is he ended the conversation by, Thanks honey don’t worry about it I will call them and apologise that I won’t make it” A conversation I might add he handled very well by making it out that he appreciates their kind offer but he is extremely sorry as he did not wish to intrude and impose on their kindness especially that (assuming speaking to his wife’s relative) that they have a new baby and her mother in law staying as well. Good recovery but 30 minutes waste of time…. After a long flight and cab ride I made it to San Fran and the Queen Anne Hotel was a tad out of town but like most of these little quirky place it was delightful, clean and full of Xmas cheer. Queen Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment